Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Unfaithful

"I'm going out with the guys." He said as he was searching for his sandals. "They're in the other closet." He lifted his head and met her eyes. She was smiling at him. How did she know he wanted those sandals? He had at least 10 others but she knew exactly which one he wanted. "You always wear those when you go hang out with the guys." What was that in her voice? Her smile never left her face. He felt a needle pin his heart.

"I'll be late. Don't wait for me." She was sitting in the main hall reading a book. The book he had given her when they were engaged. How many times has she read it? "Are you reading that book again?" He asked. She looked up at him and smiled. He felt warmness inside. "Yes, I am." He walked over to her side and tilted his head to the side to read the first line. Her hands fit perfectly in his … He looked away. She closed the book.

"How many times have you read that book?" She was drinking water. "You're going to be late." His phone rang. She pointed to his pocket. "See? They're waiting for you." He felt a knife cut through his heart. "How many times?" She put the glass down. "This is my 11th time." He grinned, "Do you skip the long, boring parts and go straight to all the action?" She smiled, dull eyes stared at him. "No. I go through lines quickly because I memorized most of them." His phone was still ringing. "Aren't you going to answer that?" He was sweating. "Isn't it hot in here?" She shook her head, "The A.C. is freezing."

"Have you memorized the book yet?" She was heading towards the stairs. She stopped and turned around to face him, a smile was plastered on her face. Her white teeth showed and her eyes twinkled. He felt the warmness inside again. "You know … " She said as she rubbed her chin with her hand. "I have this theory." She walked towards him swaying her hips and then standing exactly in front of him. She looked up. He couldn't breath. "Once I reach the 25th time I'll be able to skip pages and I'll skip chapters when I reach the 35th time." His mobile rang. Her smile faded. "They're impatient." He didn't answer.

She was halfway upstairs when he called for her. She turned around. "Don't you ever get sick of reading the same book over and over again?" She smiled at him. "I love it. If you love something, you can't leave it and move on to something else … something that makes you feel less than what it made you feel. I have to be faithful. I could read other books but I would only be lying to myself. I don't like other books. I like this one. It is mine. It makes me feel so-" She was interrupted by his mobile. She sighed and smiled slightly. "Just go. Don't keep them waiting."

He started his car. He looked at his mobile on the passenger seat. He picked it up. He dialed her number. "You're only going to be late. We don't want them to be disappointed, now do we?" He forgot how much he loved her voice. "I just wanted to say goodbye." She was silent on the other end. "You aren't going to war, are you?" He laughed. "No, I'm not." There was another moment of silence. "You are coming back, right?" He smiled, "Yes, I am." She was silent. "You do know you're still in the garage, don't you?" He looked out the window and saw her waving at him. He let out a nervous laughter and waved back. His face suddenly changed. There was someone on the other line. She stopped waving. "They're calling you." She said. "Go to them. I'll be here when you come back." She blew him a kiss and then hung up.

She was in the car with him. He turned to her and smiled. She smiled back but quickly the smile disappeared and was staring straight ahead. She was scratching her right arms. "Aren't we there yet?" He sighed and shook his head. "Almost there."

He parked in the darkness. He turned to her. She had a smirk on her face. He knew that look. She pushed him back.

His fingers intertwined with hers. She shook her hand free. He tried again but she only freed her hand every time he tried. He pushed her away. "What is your problem?" She demanded. "Why don't you let me hold your hand?" She rolled her eyes and shook her head. "We aren't teenagers, honey." He looked away. "Don't you love me?" She sighed, "What is it with you? We're here to have fun." She tried to push him down again but he caught her wrist with his hand. Slowly he tried to fit his fingers between hers. She stared at him and didn't say a thing. "What are you doing?" He didn't say anything. He held up their hands. "Doesn't this mean anything to you?" She raised her eyebrow. "You aren't making any sense."

He lay in the backseat all alone. His phone was ringing. Which call was this? Must be the 25th … He stared at the car's roof. An angelic face suddenly appeared in front of his eyes.

He was driving. He turned his mobile off. He passed a pay phone. He stopped, got out of the car and ran to the phone. "Yes?" He loved her voice. "Can I ask you a question?" She was silent. "Yes, go ahead." He breathed in and then slowly let it out. "Honey … are you ok?" He could sense the concern in her voice. "Where are the guys?" He closed his eyes trying to erase the events. "That doesn't matter right now. Just … could you answer a question for me … please?" She didn't say anything. "The book you're reading … on the page where it says "Her hand fit perfectly in his." What does it say afterwards?" "It couldn't be more perfect than this. She knew that he will always-" The line went dead. His minute was over.

He rushed to the car. He sped through the streets. He could see his house. He parked in the garage and ran inside. She was no where in sight. He searched every room, every floor, every hall … it was like she disappeared. Finally, he gave up. He went out to the additional room he built outside. His sacred shrine where he spends most of his time. The lights were on. Confused, he continued towards the room. There, inside, was her. She was sitting on the floor, in his favorite spot, a glass of his favorite drink by her side and reading the book. She was giving him her back. That was the way he sat … exactly. He took off his sandals and went inside. He tip toed to make sure she wouldn't notice him coming in. He leaned down to see where she was.

Her hand fit perfectly in his. It couldn't be more perfect than this. She knew that he will always be there by her side. To hold her, to help her, to save her, to love her …

Tears were forming in his eyes. A single drop fell on the page. She was alarmed. The book fell from her hands and she turned around and stared straight into his watery eyes. Without a word, she opened her arms and he curled up in her lap like a little baby. She took off his shma'3 and put it aside. He cried until there were no more tears to shed.

The water was boiling. She poured in a glass with a tea bag and gave it to him. He accepted the glass. She turned around to leave but he stopped her by a firm grip on her wrist. She turned to face him. "What is wrong with you today?" He got up from his chair and looked down at her. He lifted their hands and tried to fit his fingers between hers. She smiled. "See?" She said, "A perfect fit." He wrapped his arms around her waste. "You're scaring me now … " He leaned down and kissed her lightly. She giggled. "The guys aren't giving you enough loving?" He leaned down until their foreheads touched. "I don't give a damn about the guys. I will always be here … with you. I could get love else where but I would only be lying to myself. I love you and only you. I don't like them. I like you. I want you. You are mine." She smiled. "I know." He kissed her right behind her ear. "I'm sorry." He whispered. She cupped his face in her hands. "I forgive you."

He stayed faithful to her until they parted by death …

5 Comments:

At 8:19 PM, Blogger Bassem said...

brilliant writing :) i loved it

of course i'd have preferred if she didn't forgive him because i'm more of a tragic endings guy rather than happy ones :P

 
At 9:39 PM, Blogger !nsanity said...

i loved this story when i read it on your journal, and i love it again for u posting it here.

keep up the good work girl.

 
At 6:51 AM, Blogger FASHIONOLOGIE said...

nice work i really enjoyed it

 
At 2:56 PM, Blogger 5ada said...

Bassem,
Thank you :D a5jalt twa'9o3i :P I'm a fan of tragic endings as well, but this story takes place here where most women forgive their husbands if they cheat on them. They accept it as long as she knows that he loves her and only her. Eh, I can't explain it any better :P

!n$@n!tY + Sweetest Sin,
:D Thanks for dropping by :D You brought back blood to my system!

 
At 12:21 AM, Blogger 5ada said...

filmgirl, you made me blush ... You are too kind :D Thank you so much for stopping by and for your nice comment ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home